Monday, July 19, 2010

Matsuri Sushi

In the nearly 20 years I've been living here, sushi selections have changed raidcally, at least, at the cheap conveyor belt places. Today was a national holiday. My daughter and I dropped my wife off at her office and then went out for an early lunch. Everybody else seemed to think it was too hot to cook. We got the last parking place even though it was before noon.

First of all, there are so many of them now, and the prices are lower than they used to be. They used to have a graduated pricing system, with different colored plates representing different prices. Now it's all 105 yen per plate. At least, the actual sushi is all priced that way. (Some items are available with a larger, higher quality selection with only one piece on a plate.) The chicken and french fries, which you'll see cruising by in one of these short video clips, is 280 yen.

Second, there is a lot of mayonaise-enhanced sushi available.

Third, there is an awful lot of meat sushi: roast pork, teriyaki chicken, duck, little hot dogs, and even steak. Some places have what they call "raw ham."

Also, there are lots of desserts (cake and pudding) and juice cruising by on the same little round plates as the sushi. Today I saw takoyaki for the first time.

All in all, kurukuruzushi (conveyor belt sushi) has become much more of an adventure. The choices are almost endless and, if you're selective, you can still find the classics -- I had hamachi (yellowtail), salmon, uni (sea urchin), and unagi (eel). I ended by finishing my daughter's fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment