Monday, April 12, 2010

Eggplant



I tried a different recipe this time, with a sweet and sour dressing. I didn't like it nearly as much as the usual way, with miso.

Usual recipe
Soak 500 g of chopped or sliced eggplant in water for 10 minutes. Discard the water and pat the eggplant dry. Stir-fry until they're getting a little soft. DON'T OVERCOOK! The eggplant should resist your teeth slightly, like pasta cooked al dente. Toss them in a mixture of 3 T miso, 4 t sugar, 4 t mirin. Sprinkle them with one or two teaspoons of freshly toasted white sesame seeds. If you're not serving them right away, cool them and then either serve them at room temperature or cold, depending on the weather and your mood.

1 comment:

  1. Don, I love nasu with miso more than any other Japanese food, so glad you share my enthusiasm. Your recipe sounds yummy, as I've only had halves topped with miso and gently broiled until the nasu is a great creamy txture - often my whole dinner! PS - So what's that blossoming tree? Looks like apple or pear blossoms, but Paul couldn't find the answer. Susan P.s. What color miso?

    ReplyDelete