Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Today's cutlet -- fish

Yesterday, Mama no Mise had whale cutlets on sale. Today they had fish cutlets.



As the sign says, these are a local specialty -- chopped fish, some stuff to hold it together, plus overly-colorful breading.

Interestingly, they've written the name phonetically as フイッシュかつ. Fish is written in katakana, the syllabary used for words of foreign origin, except for words derived from Chinese, which are written in Chinese characters. Katakana is also used for foreign names, like my name, Weiss, written ワイス which comes out wa - i - su if you say it slowly, as I do in situations where, in English, I would spell my name.

The かつ, katsu part of the name of the food is also probably derived ultimately from the French côtelette, which is odd, now that I think about it since that makes katsu also a word of foreign origin which thus should be written in katakana rather than hiragana. My dictionary correctly shows it in katakana, but my impression is that it's usually written in hiragana. (The whale cutlets yesterday had it written in katakana.) Hiragana is the Japanese syllabary used for verb endings, conjunctions, some names, everything in books written for young children, as well as many other uses. But then, Japanese isn't any more logical than English, and we all know what a mess English is.

No comments:

Post a Comment